On 7/10/06, Ivan Volosyuk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
One question, why do we need write barriers for 'putstatic' bytecode?
This fields appear in root set and does not represent heap to heap
references. There is no need to add write barriers to this entities.

Good question.  The short answer is because MMTk makes zero
assumptions about the VM automatically enumerating all the static
locations holding ref ptrs.   DRLVM makes the assumption that statics
will be part of the root set.  We really don't have hard data at this
point to show us the best approach yet.   I vote for leaving it in for
now. This is really the kind of GC/VM integration issue I expect the
MMTk port force us to deal with.

This is good that the patch doesn't conflict with HARMONY-581. I can
continue my experiments with C garbage collector.
--
Ivan