Hi

Hi,

I'm interested in the task of porting classlib to the 64bit platform
(em64t/amd64).
At this moment, classlib's source structure and build system doesn't support
the diversity of platforms.
Let's discuss what changes have to be made to support other platforms.
One way is to move platform-dependent to the appropriate directory. For
example,
port--linux --ia32
               --em64t
               --ipf
              makefile
and to add platform determination and proper files selection to the
makefile.

I always do this way when it comes to write multi platform code because I like to keep everything clean and organized.

The other way is to select the platform-dependent code by the preprocessor difine directives and to include the platform determination and the difines setting to the top-level build files (unfortunatly it doesn't work with asm
files).

That taints the code but it's the most used way, and of course, assembly code should reside in separate files.

Multi-platform code forces you to deal with the triplet:

CPU, OS, Compiler

Enrico