Andrew Zhang wrote:
On 7/27/06, Tim Ellison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Ilya Okomin wrote:
> On 7/27/06, Tim Ellison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> The other reason we will need some manual intervention is that there is
>> plenty of code that throws exceptions without any message describing
the
>> problem, and of course the tooling won't help there.
>
> Tim, do you mean, that Exceptions without any messages supposed to be
> initialized with some corresponding message describing the problem? I
> thought only already existing in modules messages are to be considered.
> Just want to dispel doubts.

I see plenty of code going in to svn that simply throws a new
IllegalArgumentException() or whatever.  It would be good if they had an
externalized message to explain what the problem was -- i.e. throw new
IllegalArgumentException("Parameter foobar should be less than 42") etc.

Agree. Meaningful message helps. But all exceptions defined in java.nio and
java.nio.channels only have a constructor without any parameter. :)
Seems sun is becoming lazy on this issue. :)
Maybe we could think these exceptions are self-explaining, and we will do nothing about them.

You might consider this a separate task to that of externalizing the
existing messages, but depending on how 'manual' the externalization
scan is for each module it may be worth doing both simultaneously.

>> So once we have the basic framework in place for the message handling I >> think it will require a large manual effort to get all the strings that
>> we want externalized properly.  Luckily it is not technically complex
>> work and it is a task that we can easily do in parallel across the
>> modules.
>
> Yep, I've chosen the same way to do.

Cool -- did you get anywhere with the message handling framework
'template' code?

Richard Liang
China Software Development Lab, IBM