On Wednesday 02 August 2006 17:30 Paulex Yang wrote:
> Alexey Varlamov wrote:
> > [SNIP]
> >
> >>     For native codes, instrument need a new directory in
> >> modules/luni/src/main/native named "instrument", in my plan, there
> >> should be two native code, one for instrument native implementation, and
> >> another for laugher (for parameter "-javaagent"). Instrument shall be
> >> compiled into a .DLL(.so) file alone.
> >
> > Jimmy,
> > Could you please add some details on the launcher part? I'd rather
> > think that common VM launcher should be updated to support
> > "-javaagent:" option
>
> Agree, it should can be handled by common launcher.
>
> > - which is basically a second class to launch.
>
> I think there is some difference, actually I expect it parses the
> parameters following "-javaagent:", then converts it to
> "-agentlib:hyinstrument.dll..." and at last passes them to VM.

I don't think there is any conversion required. I believe -javaagent is a VM
option and should be handled internally by the invocation API in case there
is a 3rd party launcher/plugin which tries to use VM's invocation API
directly. The agent library may be even linked statically to VM and hidden
from direct use on the command line.

On a side note, -agentlib specifies agent library in OS independent way so it
should be "-agentlib:hyinstrument=..."