On 9/14/06, Geir Magnusson Jr. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Xiao-Feng Li wrote:
> On 9/15/06, Geir Magnusson Jr. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>

>> Xiao-Feng Li wrote:
>> > GCv5 is a proposed next GC version for Harmony VM. It's just
starting.
>> > Any people who are interested are welcome to comment the design or
>> > participate the development. Please notice messages with [DRLVM][GC]
>> > in subject. I will submit a very preliminary mark-compaction GC
>> > skeleton as the mature space collector soon.
>>
>> When this happens, lets ensure that we can compile both v4.1 and v5 at
>> the same time, and choose them via a cmd-line switch...
>>

> Yes, it is always desirable to keep the existing version runnable.
>
> Since I will submit code as JIRA issue or update from time to time as
> the development proceeds, the initial submissions are only for
> developers, will not be ready to run as GCv5, (e.g., it may have
> seperate standalone nursery collector and mature collector). When GCv5
> is developed reasonably complete in functionality, we will make it a
> command line option. Or do you suggest to do it immediately?

It wouldn't be a bad thing to at least try to start integrating as soon
as possible, as it might affect the structure of what you are building...

Integrating as soon as possible is probably already going on.  The DRLVM
VM/GC interface has been basically stable for quite some time.  If Xiao Feng
finds a problem with VM/GC interface, we need to know about it immediately.
Until then, GCV5 probably has little impact on the non-GC part of the VM.
In other words, GCV5 already connects to DRLVM in much the same fashion as
GCV4.x and MMTk.

I think the question to ask Xiao Feng is when he thinks it makes sense for
others to play with DRLVM/GCV5.  It should be sooner rather than later.
From the above it looks like once the mature space collector is finished, we
can call for a vote to commit GCV5 to the repository.  Once this happens, a
standard build will produce GCV4, GCV4.1 and GCV5 DLLs.  A command line
switch will select between them.  A command line switch for MMTk also needs
to be added.  Hopefully this will happen in the next month or so.

geir