I see that you already said pretty much the same thing I did on another thread [1].

IMHO we should make sure that if the fetch-depends target finds it cannot sym link to preinstalled system libraries, then the user is clearly informed so they have the choice to install them without having the archived file versions unpacked. So perhaps the fetch-depends step should still fail with a message saying something like "Could not resolve these dependencies, either build/install these packages manually or you can run this other target to have the archived versions unpacked into your
dependency tree". (Hopefully a little clearer than that ;) )

Regards,
Oliver

[1] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-harmony-dev/200610.mbox/[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
I was thinking the same thing, but didn't think it all the way through...