Hi, Gregory:

On 10/11/06, Gregory Shimansky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Sunday 08 October 2006 12:39 Leo Li wrote:
> Hi, all
>      Current harmony build script on linux requires liblcms.a libpng.aand
> several .h files such as png.h but not installed on my redhat linux
> platform. Although as the script prompts out, ubuntu can download such
> files seperately, while other platform such as my redhat or suse, rpm
might
> be the only source to get new softwares from internet which leads to a
lot
> of troubles. For examples, the dependency between those rpms and the
> default installation destinations of these rpms are not the places
Harmony
> script expects.
>      So, I think, it will be good if the build script can download these
> required files automatically when they are absent.

Show me a single Linux distribution which doesn't provide development
files
for any library (except for 3rd party binaries) it includes. Providing
them
from harmony is really not necessary. It is a matter of system
configuration
by an individual developer and if it is too hard to find necessary
packages
in redhat there are more developer oriented (although redhat includes all
necessary packages, I assure you) distributions (no Gentoo advertising
from
me here).

FOR LEO
^^^^^^^

Using rpmfind or rpmsearch (call it rpm hell like dll hell in windows) is
really a wrong way, there sites often includes unofficial packages, it
requires you to carefully chose your distribution version, etc.

The version which you've installed should have registered package sources
(be
it CD or http/ftp) from the official mirror. Search in it for
libpng1-devel
(or whatever form redhat has for this package) to install it. Also
uninstall
all the zoo you've found on the net before you do it, otherwise you'll get
installation conflicts for sure.

But I cannot find the rpm for liblcms.a and icc34.h in the CD. There is no
liblcms*.rpm or lcms*.rpm.  And what do you mean official mirror, the redhat
site?

Although I admit rpmfind is not a good way, but it really works after I
installed all the necessary packages and put the required files to the
appropriate position.

At least Harmony should gives some hints, for example, which rpm is required
and where to get them. Since not every body is an expert of rpm, and aware
of  the relationship between the required files and rpms, as well as their
versions, as you said, "the rpm hell".