Slava Shakin wrote:
Geir,

The following scenario illustrates my point (just in case):
Let's assume that IPF porting group managed to run "hello world" on IPF in the main trunk. The next goal might be a bit more sophisticated workload (like Eclipse). For fast progress towards that goal the IPF porting group will not want any regressions wrt their results in the branch they work with. But patches from other (non-IPF) contributors are not supposed to be tested on IPF and can easily break even building on that platform.

Agreed.

This is just one more argument for doing IPF porting in a separate branch, at least since some point.

I admit that maintaining quality and checking for regressions on new platforms is a separate big problem but I believe we could try to avoid it during "incubation" of new platforms.

Overall I agree we could wait with branch creation until real problems appear.

Great