Just to add my 2p -- I also agree with doing the work in the trunk.  Of
course the minimum cost of working there is that you do no harm to the
other platforms.  That is the zeroth level of integration.

The first level of integration would then be to modify the build system
to build the IPF code, and of course it has to compile, know it's
dependencies, etc. etc.

Until the code can run some useful tests it is probably worth going on
to run only a restricted set of the tests we have and then take on more.

We can be bringing a number of new platforms on line simultaneously this
way, with each potentially being at a different level of
integration/maturity within the project.

Rana Dasgupta wrote:

>> > branch,

>> > avoid it

>> problems
>> > >

>> > Great
>>

> OK, we can then continue as is until the IPF port matures and is ready for
> running non trivial applications or performance tests. At that point we can
> decide whether to treat it as a primary platform, in which case, we will
> need to test on it before committing submissions to the main branch. Or
> secondary, in which case we branch it and let the IPF submitters control
> their own destiny.
>
> Thanks for the good comments.
>
> Rana

Tim Ellison ([EMAIL PROTECTED])