On Saturday 28 October 2006 03:47 Xiao-Feng Li wrote:
> All, I think the problem now is mainly about the class unloading
> design not about whether class unloading happens in server
> environment.

Yes, the problem is easily reproducible in client environment, eclipse is an
example. It is not an eclipse bug because Java spec doesn't limit an
application in creating its own class loader instances.

> Class unloading is definitely a feature required in future; but with
> the significance of the required modifications in JVM by this class
> unloading design 2 (using Java object for Vtable), it is probably
> safer to move this work into a branch at the moment until all other
> components are ready for it, and after we have thorough evaluation on
> it since there are still issues to be resolved or discussed.
>
> Or we can keep it in JIRA and keep the discussion and evaluation going
> on before we decide to support the special design (Java Vtable) in
> other components.
>
> How about it?

I haven't seen any patch proposal, just the design. It seems like everyone
agreed with automatic collection (#2) which I also agree with. No code was
presented to evaluate or test so far. I am +1 to maintain a patch in JIRA,
I'll help to test it myself.