I believe that in CVS when you make a branch there's nothing in it to begin
with, so if you check out code from the branch it looks the same as code in
head.  Then if a change is made in a file in head and that file hasn't been
changed in the branch that change is reflected in the branch.  My
understanding is that SVN is based on CVS so I think it should work the same
way.  So my point was that if it's only a small number of classes that
are branched then integrating fixes shouldn't be that problematic.  Please
feel free to correct me if any of those assumptions are wrong.

Just thinking about J2ME, I can imagine that some source files are going
to be very different.  For example there are no Java 5 features in J2ME, so
any generic classes will have to be almost completely different.  My concern
is that trying to combine two quite different classes in the same file is
going be very difficult to read and understand.

Thanks,

Sian

On 02/11/06, Geir Magnusson Jr. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Sian January wrote:
> I may be totally off track here, but how about just having two copies
> of all the files that differ?  I don't believe it would be that many,
> and it would save us from having complicated source files or having to
> use special tools or special IDE plug-ins.  For me the value of having
> clearly readable source code and being able to use an IDE out of the box
> outweighs any extra effort there may be with this solution.

Because I think that still means we have separate branches, and thus the
integration problem for fixes.

geir