On 11/3/06, Etienne Gagnon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Mikhail Fursov wrote:
> Good point! I think Java1.2 classes format is a reason to move J2ME
> development into separate branch.
> The only usecase for preprocessor is left (correct me if I miss
something)
> is Java6 changes.
> ?

a) This is "class format"...  AFAIK, you can use generics for
development, but compile with -target=1.2 or something like it, no?

b) If I'm wrong in a), then what if you wanted additional branches of
harmony: j2se1.4, j2me (classformat1.2)?  Then using the proposed tool
would be IMO preferable to using completely distinct svn branches for
these.

Etienne

Yes,
it's possible to write J2ME applications using Java5 syntax with
generics and use
special compiler to compile it to Java1.2 format.
My position here is:
1) Let's ask volunteers/gurus who do JavaXYZ port what is more convenient
for them
2) The idea with Preprocessor (I mean your version with a special 2-way
tool) is very good and scalable until you do not have diffs in almost every
line.
3) Today we have a lot of changes in classlib: ~100 commits per day. Merging
of branches is almost unreal. Maybe in the future situation will change
because we will have more stable
code. Maybe not: we can have 10 times more developers! Let's wait and
will see :)

--
Mikhail Fursov