Not only are we in the information business we promote information literacy.
The marketplace may have many flaws when it defines our profession but one
thing is certain we indeed provide information. When a researcher asks a
reference question they may ultimately acquire knowledge and wisdom, however
the vehicle to reach those goals is through the use of information. An
important aspect of our profession is even called information literacy. We
go beyond simply guiding and answering reference questions we also teach our
readers about the sources used. Do we want a readership that is
"bibliographically crippled" or do we want our readership to become familiar
with sources and how they work. The answer is obvious. When we research a
question on the INTERNET are we not dealing with information? We are viewed
in a stereotypical sense because we do not always move with the times. Many
of use do not have card catalogs, our reference interviews usually include
on-line database searching. The quest for knowledge in 2003 uses different
equipment and a new technical language but the basic service is still the
same. It is about time that we present ourselves using current terminology.

Rabbi Samson Raphael Hirsch poses a question. He say many people believe
that that Jewish law is dated. After all if you pick up a Talmud or Shulhan
Aruch you find examples that represent their time periods. Thus a person may
be lead to believe that Jewish law is dated. Rabbi Hirsch teaches us that
the books used contemporary examples to illustrate the law. The principles
however transcend the generations. Thus the same law that applied in the
17th century applied to Elon Ramon when he went into space. The space
equipment was different but the principles were the same. In our day and age
we indeed provide information and information literacy. We should feel
comfortable using those terms because they accurately describe our duties
and functions. Wisdom and knowledge is always the result. Lets us not
perpetuate stereotypes by not using current terminology to describe what we
do. If we do that then someone will make the inane statement that I have
heard so often " do you think books will be obsolete? Let us not give the
readers the idea that we are obsolete. We don't use a typewriter we use a
computer. We do not only answer reference we provide information.

Eliezer M. Wise
Library Director
Tuttleman Library of Gratz College
7605 Old York Road
Melrose, Park, Pa.  19027
215-635-7300 x 159
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

HaSafran - The Electronic Forum of the Association of Jewish Libraries
Submissions for HaSafran, send to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
SUBscribing, SIGNOFF commands send to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Questions, problems, complaints, compliments;-) send to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
AJL HomePage http://www.JewishLibraries.org/