Thanks, Eli, for an erudite and thought-provoking response.  But, I do have
a couple of caveats (You thought I woudn't?!).  You say, "It is about time
that we present ourselves using current terminology."  You also say, "We
should feel comfortable using those terms because they accurately describe
our duties and functions."  I'm afraid I'm not that much of a
pragmatist.  As  I have attempted to make clear, I don't object to modern
technology, per se, but I do object when the use of that technology leads
to a change in our perception of exactly what the nature of our work may
be, and much more basically the exact nature of the world of which we are
among the guides.  Those who use that terminology clearly do not do so in a
neutral way.  I still remember a friend and colleague at another
institution, who said that as soon as someone invented the wheel, our
relationship to the ground changed.  That is philosophy, not neutral
terminology.  Academic librarians have struggled for years against the
perception that they are simply "glorified secretaries" (My apologies to
all secretaries, for whom I have the highest respect; I am only repeating
what others have said.).  I don't want us to give the ignorant even more
ammunition to use against us.  It's bad enough that too many administrators
see technology as a means of speading up production, and see additional
advanced degrees only as a means of making the library look better in the
eyes of the public.  In one way I am a pragmatist.  I will use just about
any technology available so long as it does what I want it to do.  I'm not
particularly concerned about adopting it just because the rest of the world
thinks I should.  And, yes we do still have a card catalog here, with an
active manual shelf list, but we also have an online catalog, full internet
connections, and a wide variety of both electronic and printed
resources.  We use what works for us and what fits our budget.

Best,

Dan Rettberg
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

HaSafran - The Electronic Forum of the Association of Jewish Libraries
Submissions for HaSafran, send to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
SUBscribing, SIGNOFF commands send to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Questions, problems, complaints, compliments;-) send to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
AJL HomePage http://www.JewishLibraries.org/