The great sage Hillel taught, " if I am not for myself, who will be for
me...." (Avos 1:13)
I have brought up the issue of the future of Judaica Librarianship. Many
apathy. This listserve is sometimes more preoccupied with politics and
political agenda than with the future of our collections.

I recently received a pamphlet from the American Theological Library
Association. It was about recruitment to the specialty of theological
librarianship. The graphics were very impressive and the titles of the
sections were as follows: LIBRARIANS TEACH, LIBRARIANS STAY CURRENT IN THEIR
FIELD, LIBRARIANS PRESERVE THE HISTORY OF THEIR FIELD. They put in a plug
for student membership to ATLA. Why don't we do such outreach? I know that
people will respond to this by focusing on the low salaries. This is true
and it is also an area that AJL needs to address and perhaps issue a report
and then go public with the findings as well a some lobbying efforts. At any
rate if we focus this way then we certainly will have no one within a
decade.

The brochure seems to be aimed at library school students. Last year the
President of Gratz College, the head of Judaica studies at Drexel University
and myself met with the Dean of the Library school at Drexel. We were
lobbying for course that would address Judaica issues. The Dean responded
that the interest for these courses is unknown. Wouldn't an AJL brochure for
recruitment also serve as a barometer for interest of library school
students. While we recruit we need to make a unified effort for salary
standards.

In Pennsylvania there is currently a severe crisis of funding for public
libraries. I had a letter in the Philadelphia Inquirer addressing that
issue. The Newspaper had an article about this desperate situation with no
comment from any professional organization. Protest is not credible if the
professionals do not have a public involvement. If we do not do our own
outreach and do not try to deal with the salary situation then we become
part of the problem. I urge the organization to do more for our present
(salaries) and our future (recruitment)

Eliezer M. Wise
Library Director
Tuttleman Library of Gratz College
7605 Old York Road
Melrose Park, Pa. 19027
215-635-7300 extension 159

HaSafran - The Electronic Forum of the Association of Jewish Libraries

Submissions for HaSafran, send to: Hasafran at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
SUBscribing, SIGNOFF commands send to: Listserver at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
Questions, problems, complaints, compliments;-) send to: galron.1 at osu.edu
AJL HomePage http://www.JewishLibraries.org/