I would like to commend Eliezer Wise for raising the issue of recruiting
future Judaica librarians.  While I am neither a Judaica librarian nor a
member of AJL, I do think this is an important issue.

Unfortunately, however, I understand all too well when Mr. Wise states that
"Many responses range from complete resignation to the dreary outlook to
total apathy."  Why do I say this?  Two and half years ago there were a
number of posts on ha-Safran complaining about the recent AJL dues increase
(I think from $25 to $50), and the difficulty of paying such dues on the
salary of a Judaica librarian.  In response, I posted a message to
ha-Safran in June 2001 suggesting that AJL consider increasing its
fundraising efforts to help reduce the reliance on dues to cover operating
expenses.  In my message, I asked "Does AJL have a development/fundraising
committee?  If not, why not?"  Two and a half years later, I just looked at
the AJL website, and I counted 15 committees, but no committee which
appears to devote even part of its time to raising funds from outside the
AJL membership/community.  Thus my skepticism that anything will result
from Mr. Wise's post (I hope I am wrong to be skeptical!).

I would like to make some suggestions regarding the recruitment issue.
First, I think it is late to be targeting library school students to become
Judaica librarians.  A more proactive approach would be to recruit from
among undergraduates majoring in Jewish studies, talking to students in
their junior or senior years.  I think the library profession generally
does a poor job of publicizing career possibilities to undergraduates -
perhaps this explains why relatively few of my library school classmates
were recent college graduates, full-time students, or even in their 20s.

Another possibility is to coordinate with the National Yiddish Book Center
and make the Center's summer interns more aware of Judaica librarianship as
a career option.

I would also like to suggest that one of AJL's committees be charged with
responsibilities for outreach and recruitment efforts.  The Publicity or
Scholarship Committees seem best related to these tasks.

And I will raise once again the issue of fundraising.  The Jewish community
in America as a whole is quite successful.  According to the website of the
Jewish Funders Network, "the number of Jewish foundations has more than
doubled in the past seven years to approximately $30 billion in assets."
Clearly there is no shortage of funds out there.  And there are Jewish
cultural organizations that focus on books and archives that have been
quite successful at raising funds.  Why is it that AJL -still- does not
have a committee dedicated in large part to fundraising?

Fundraising could help in several areas related to recruitment and
salaries.  Money could be raised to:

* help cover AJL operating expenses, thus reducing the need to have dues
cover such costs

* increase the funds available each year for convention travel stipends
* cover part of the costs of the annual convention
* pay for a brochure to inform students and others about Judaica
librarianship careers
* pay for a brochure for synagogue and school librarians to explain to
library users what they do, and why supporting their library financially is
important
* create paid internships for undergraduate Jewish studies students to
spend a summer or a semester assisting a Judaica librarian
* pay for increased distribution of the AJL newsletter among Jewish studies
students
* increase the funds available for scholarships for library school students

Whether my above suggestions have merit is another issue, but those are
some of the ideas that came to my mind.  As Judaica librarian salaries are
set and paid for by the institutions which employ the librarians, other
than suggesting the possibility of "named" librarian positions, I don't
have any other ideas on the salary issue at the moment.

Considering that much of this post has to do with suggestions about
fundraising, some people may wonder if I will put my money where my mouth
is and make a contribution to AJL.  At this point, my answer is "not yet."
I could make a contribution if I chose to, but quite frankly, if the AJL
leadership/membership isn't going to make an effort to help themselves by
fundraising outside the AJL community, why should I contribute?  Or, as Mr.
Wise quoted from Hillel in opening his message, "if I am not for myself,
who will be for me."

Should AJL form a committee or make an effort to raise money from outside
the AJL community, as an individual who used to do fundraising research for
a non-Jewish non-profit, I would be willing to contribute some of my time
to suggest and research foundation and/or individual donor prospects.  And
I would then also consider making a small financial contribution.

Before I close, I'd like to apologize to anyone who found the tone of my
note too blunt or overly critical.  But I think it is overdue for AJL to
make an effort to raise money, and I hope my provocative comments will get
AJL to embark on this path.

I'll close with a different quote from Hillel: "If not now, when?"

Ethan Starr
Washington, DC

HaSafran - The Electronic Forum of the Association of Jewish Libraries

Submissions for HaSafran, send to: Hasafran at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
SUBscribing, SIGNOFF commands send to: Listserver at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
Questions, problems, complaints, compliments;-) send to: galron.1 at osu.edu
AJL HomePage http://www.JewishLibraries.org/