I support Eli's comments in many ways.  It sometimes feels that
librarianship has been sinking in status since I was in school (1970-71),
and that it probably has never had much status.  The ubiquity of web'based
services and online searching from home has certainly not enhanced our
community's identity.

I would not be quite as harsh on the AJL as he is, though.  We have
recruited students in various schools (even as the number of LS's has
shrunk) over the past years, and have encouraged attendance at the
Conventions through our subsidies and the scholarships.  It isn't much, but
it isn't nothing, either.

It is also instructive that the ATLA is also trying to recruit.  From my
own travels, discussions with minister-friends, and peeks into church
libraries, they are frequently more dismal than ours. I see it as a comment
on the importance we (as Jews and as librarians) place on the need for
access at the local level. The fact that our members are not paid (there is
another posting today about that issue)  is regrettable, but true.

In the end, I am not entirely happy with our situation, Eli.  There is
indeed more we can do. There are ways to act that we need to move toward
increasing our numbers, our significance, and our involvement.  But I would
not say we are either without resources, either.

Fred Isaac
Oakland, CA

Submissions for Ha-Safran, send to:      Hasafran at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
SUBscribing, SIGNOFF commands send to:   Listproc at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu