Another vote in support of the college campus idea.
While a fancy venue may lend a certain polish to an event, I believe
that the quality of the presentations and the participation is a more
important value than linen napkins and silver samovars, especially if I
know that among the participants are people who would not have been able
to attend a more expensive venue. My experience of events held on
college campuses is that they tend to have a certain community quality,
which is something I appreciate.
I think it's also very important that the Association as a whole put
special effort into finding financial support for the synagogue and
community center librarians who have the most limited resources. For
example, the Avi Chai program has helped day school librarians (and
others?) attend conferences for a few years now.
Finally, I feel strongly that AJL needs a national conference committee.
The members who live in the hosting city/region should certainly be
involved in the planning regarding local issues, but our current system,
in spite of the excellent results we see each year, is really not
efficient or sensible.
All of these ideas have been expressed before, and in clearer terms, by
others. I'm just casting my votes.
B'shalom,
Lynn
==================
Lynn Feinman, Librarian
92nd Street YM/YWHA
1395 Lexington Avenue
New York NY 10128
212-415-5543
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Please note that email sent to recipient  @92ndsty.org will not be accepted
after
7/31/2005. All email for the 92nd Street Y should be sent to
recipient  @92Y.org