Judy, I politely disagree.  I am no longer - at this moment anyway -
working in the field, but I find the cultural notices, bereavement
notices and political arguments very enlightening in terms of
self-definition of our role as information people.  I never worked in
a social vacuum and I think these are all part of the professional
picture.  I would hope that the subject line in each message would
enable subscribers to use the delete button appropriately.  I do not
post my personal issues on the web but it is good to know that I
won't make a gaffe should I happen to meet someone at a conference or
socially because of this posted information.

As for there being a tight East coast community of librarians, I wish
I had been part of it when I practiced in the field -but I never
found it to exist. Perhaps the whole point of the messages to which
you object is to enable those of us outside this putative community
to become part of it and to forge new useful social and professional
connections.

Anne Jaron