Dear friends and colleagues,

I rarely go online to the Association to recommend a new book by a
standard trade publisher, but I am in the midst of reading a book
that I think may be of interest to your library users.

The book is entitled: WORKING WITH BERNSTEIN.

The author is Jack Gottlieb

(Amadeus Press, 2010)

ISBN 10: 1574671863

ISBN 13:  978-1574671865

I have known Jack Gottlieb for nearly 40 years. For decades before
and after (with a brief hiatus in the early 1970s), he was associated
with Leonard Bernstein.

Often referred to as Bernstein's "assistant," he was, as one learns
in reading, a whole lot more. It is a highly personal memoir of his
professional association with one of the giants of Classical Music in
the last half of the 20th century.

Early on in my relationship with Jack Gottlieb, I intuited that
asking the slightest question about Bernstein would annoy, even anger
him, for he was always protective and respectful of LB's privacy and
that of his family. (That said, if he volunteered a bit of
information in the course of a conversation, one was smart not to
dwell upon it.)

This reticence is over. Gottlieb unabashedly goes into fascinating
detail about the Maestro, his quirks and foibles, his colleagues,
friends, etc. But it is hardly a "tell-all" pot-boiler, for there is
nothing seamy, seedy, or sordid in his reportage. Referring to
diaries Gottlieb kept at the time, one gets a portrait that is
respectful and not fawning.

The photographs from Jack Gottlieb's own personal archive are a
fascinating record of the whirlwind that seemed to accompany
Bernstein wherever he went or did.

The style might strike some as too colloquial, but with Gottlieb,
what one sees (or reads), one gets. He is inordinately fond of word
play (a habit only attenuated by Bernstein, who was a master of the
"bon mot"), so be forewarned.

Only today I spoke to Jack Gottlieb to congratulate him on the book.
He asked me quietly if I had read his chapter on the end of
Bernstein's life. I had not, for I am only about 100 pages into the
book. But I recall so well how devastated he was when Bernstein died
nearly 20 years ago, that I can only imagine how difficult it was for
him to write this chapter while at the same time composing his emotions.

While the title says it all, i.e., Jack Gottlieb's working
relationship with the Maestro, Working with Bernstein provides
especially important biographical details that counter the
sensationalist rubbish that litter the field and detract from
Bernstein's genius.

[]
[]