From: Deborah Stern <dst...@rrc.edu>
To: Hasafran <Hasafran@lists.service.ohio-state.edu>
Sent: Wed, Aug 1, 2012 11:37 am
Subject: Re: [ha-Safran] "I have some old Jewish books. What can I do with
them?"

Unfortunately in smaller libraries, including many synagogue libraries, the
items we are offered are not of the caliber that Yaffa and Zachary mention and
I have found people will not comply when I ask them for a list of the books. A
few have actually photographed the books, which does help. And libraries like
mine and SSC libraries are not set up to deal with rare materials or ephemera,
and it’s not our mission to collect such materials.

I also run a continuous book sale, but in the end if the books don’t sell then
we’ve taken the responsibility to dispose of them. So it’s often a fine
balancing act regarding donations.

Debbie Stern, Library Director
Mordecai M. Kaplan Library
Reconstructionist Rabbinical College