I am a librarian at a Reform congregation.  The library has a collection of
kippot from bar/bat mitzvah and wedding  celebrations.  I don't know the
practice of individuals.  In classes some wear a kippah and some don't.  I
was hoping to do an historical analysis of styles, but I don't have enough
kippot from before 2000 to make any worthwhile observations.

In the past couple of weeks we have been cleaning out the building.  We
found hundreds of kippot that ba'al simhat just left in the building.  I
gave away a few hundred dark colored ones.  The others were just pitched.
No one outside of a bat/bar mitzvah event would wear a pink or silver
kippah. I gave a few to men my age at my orthodox shul.  I offered some to
a teenager who wore that kind of kippah.  He examined them carefully and
then said they're more than 10 years old.  That's too old to wear.  The
kipport looked new.

For you question 6 " When was the practice of wearing knitted or patterned
kippot begun in North America? "  I am hoping to study this topic.  After
Israeli Independence youngsters started wearing blue and white kippot.
Before the late 1960's very few people wore kippot in public. Observant men
would wear a hat in public and put on a kipah when indoors. In Germany
Orthodox men would put on kippot when studying Jewish texts, but not during
general studies.

I hope that helps.

On Mon, Aug 2, 2021 at 11:01 PM Lisa Silverman via Hasafran <
hasafran@lists.osu.edu> wrote:

> Hi safranim,
> I am co-editor of the AJL children's book reviews and have noticed a trend
> but I need someone who knows more about this to comment, please.
>
> It seems that children's illustrators are putting kippot on most of the
> men and boys in Jewish-themed books, and I assume it is to make them
> acceptable to all denominations. But I find this a rather false narrative
> in many of these books.
>
>  For instance, there is a lovely new picture book about Rabbi Joachim
> Prinz and how he was a civil rights activist and spoke at the March on
> Washington, but he is wearing a very visible kippah there at the Lincoln
> Memorial, and photos of him at the time do not reflect that.  Here are my
> questions for anyone who can help--- and certainly one person would not
> have to answer all of them--
>

>    1. Would Joachim Prinz be wearing a kippa at any time in public?
>    2. Do any Jews affiliated with the Reform or Progressive movements
>    ever wear kippot in public?
>    3. Do Reform Jews wear kippot at all times in the synagogue? Do they
>    have kids wear them at Hebrew school?
>    4. Would a book be too confusing to children if some men at, say, a
>    sukkot gathering, wear a kippah and some do not?
>    5. Do Orthodox or more observant denominations only buy picture books
>    if all the men and boys wear kippot?  Or do they not buy picture books from
>    secular publishers anyway?
>    6. When was the practice of wearing knitted or patterned kippot begun
>    in North America?
>

> thank you in advance for any light that can be shed on this!
>
> *Lisa Silverman*
> *Co-editor, AJL News and Reviews*
> *Curator, Jewish Journal Streaming Guide*
> __
> Messages and opinions expressed on Hasafran are those of the individual
> author
> and are not necessarily endorsed by the Association of Jewish Libraries
> (AJL)
>
> https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.mail-archive.com/hasafran*40lists.service.ohio-state.edu/maillist.html__;JQ!!KGKeukY!lp98IEuUT7FCeGZITruMovug4wVxW7_pehM2lj9qWcZasKXc7wLQDKife8qLbRSj4L6TryWGldILZaI$
>
> Earlier Listserver:
>
> https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.mail-archive.com/hasafran*40lists.acs.ohio-state.edu/maillist.html__;JQ!!KGKeukY!lp98IEuUT7FCeGZITruMovug4wVxW7_pehM2lj9qWcZasKXc7wLQDKife8qLbRSj4L6TryWGAEWvBAA$
>
> AJL HomePage
> https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.JewishLibraries.org__;!!KGKeukY!lp98IEuUT7FCeGZITruMovug4wVxW7_pehM2lj9qWcZasKXc7wLQDKife8qLbRSj4L6TryWGZHLSoJI$