Hello Safranim,
I received many replies to my questions about kippot in children's books and I
had started a document where I was adding everyone's comments, but it got very
long and I began to realize that many replies were similar anyway.  So, for
those of you who were interested in the general consensus of what I received
here are the answers in a nutshell, in red:

  1.  Would Joachim Prinz be wearing a kippa at any time in public? ​Probably
not. It is wrong that he would be depicted in a way that is not historically
accurate, even if he wore one at shul, or at study.
  2.  Do any Jews affiliated with the Reform or Progressive movements ever wear
kippot in public?  ​Rarely, but some do.
  3.  Do Reform Jews wear kippot at all times in the synagogue? Do they have
kids wear them at Hebrew school? ​Kids rarely wear them at Hebrew school, but
they do during services, as do the parents, often women do, too.
  4.  Would a book be too confusing to children if some men at, say, a sukkot
gathering, wear a kippah and some do not? ​Not confusing to most kids, could be
confusing to more observant Jews who are more used to seeing that.
  5.  Do Orthodox or more observant denominations only buy picture books if all
the men and boys wear kippot?  Or do they not buy picture books from secular
publishers anyway? ​Orthodox libraries will buy secular books as long as they
are not about Jewish themes. For Jewish practices, they buy books reflecting
their level of observance. If the book is related to Jewish practice, then they
would buy books where males are wearing kippot.
  6.  When was the practice of wearing knitted or patterned kippot begun in
North America?  ​No one was able to lead me to anything definitive on this, but
the best guesses by people are that the practice began in the 1960's or 70's.

Lisa Silverman
Co-editor, AJL News and Reviews
Curator, Jewish Journal Streaming Guide

On Monday, August 2, 2021, 11:01:56 PM CDT, Lisa Silverman via Hasafran