Guerino Mazzola has done a lot of work in this area (using category theory to
describe music and performance).  He has a couple of textbooks, many papers,
and most recently this article:

http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007%2F978-3-642-39357-0_2

Warning: it's fairly abstract!

On a more practical level, I wanted to mention that in Euterpea a user can
define a notion of a "player" that interprets note and phrase attributes in a
"player dependent" manner.  For example, one could define a piano player and a
violin player that each interpret legato, crescendo, trills, and so on, in
different ways.  One of the coolest uses of this idea is the definition of a
"jazz player" that interprets a piece of music in a "swing" style (e.g.
interpreting a pair of eighth notes as a triplet of sixteenth notes, etc.).
You can have as many players in a composition as you like.

All of this is described in Chapter 8 of
http://haskell.cs.yale.edu/?post_type=publication&p=112.

Best,    -Paul

Paul Hudak
Professor of Computer Science