Paulo J. Matos wrote:

So the slowness of Haskell (compared to Clean) is consequence of
 its type system. OK, I'll stop, I did not write Clean nor Haskell
 optimizers or stuff like that :-D

type system? Why is that? Shouldn't type system in fact speed up the
generated code, since it will know all types at compile time?
Yes, but apparently the Clean type system gives more information to the compiler than the Haskell system does. The Haskell type system doesn't say that a certain value can be updated in-place or that a certain value should not be boxed (not counting the GHC extension for unboxed types).

Reinier