Interesting point. I'll have to try what you suggested. A proportional font would lessen the need to align things up vertically. It is annoying from a typographical stand point when things are almost aligned, but a tad off and so I must admit that I am guilty as charged. Monospaced fonts encourage this condition.

From: "Evan Laforge" <qdun...@gmail.com>
Sent: 09 Wednesday December 2009 1847
To: "John D. Earle" <johndea...@cox.net>
Cc: "Haskell Cafe" <haskell-cafe@haskell.org>
Subject: Re: [Haskell-cafe] Re: Allowing hyphens in identifiers

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 3:26 PM, John D. Earle <johndea...@cox.net> wrote:
The problem that I see with elision resulting in juxtaposition is that it
would alter the layout. Each line would not have the same number of
characters before and after the makeover. Visual appearance would also be
altered. Replacing hyphens with underscores as I originally proposed

As long as we're pushing pet peeves: don't line things up vertically
then.  If you use a newline and add a tab level you can still use
layout and not have this problem.  You wind up with less indentation
too, though occasionally more vertical space.  And you can use
commands without the editor having to understand haskell.  Etc.

My pet peeve is having to lean on the space bar while squinting at the
screen because someone wants to line things up vertically.