To Underscore or Not to Underscore

Richard O'Keefe and I were privately discussing the relative merits of his and my approach. We have come to an agreement. It concerns whether or not hyphens should be replaced with underscores. The following is my response to his most recent letter:

I do not believe your approach given what you wrote here will create the sort of ambiguity I feared could be introduced. If an ambiguity results, it could be fixed. As I would put it, you hope to harmonize the word breaking styles by a process similar to though slightly more involved than what is done to remove case sensitivity in some languages. As layout is concerned only leading white space needs to be preserved. Anything else could be regarded as a superstition (not to say that computer scientists are superstitious).

What you hope to do is kill two birds with one stone. If the only goal is to run everything through a preprocessor my approach seems to make the greatest sense, but if you also hope to harmonize the representation of word breaking styles, then what you are advocating seems to make greater sense. Your approach seems more consistent with Haskell traditions than mine. Therefore, I concede. You have successfully argued your point.