I think that formatted plain-text output would be much better than XML, something that is human-readable and relatively easy to parse via machine. Something similar to the GHC error output would work well because developers are familiar with it.

Test <n>:<Result>
    <Location>
    <Error message>

E.g.,

Test 1:Passed
    src/Some/File.hs:23

Test 2:Failed
    src/Some/File.hs:27
    Expecting `4'; received `5'.

Test 3:Error
    src/Some/OtherFile.hs:39
    Unexpected exception.

This would keep the complexity low in Cabal and allow for easy transformation to XML.

Richard G.