I think that, rather than having Cabal try to combine the results of different frameworks, Cabal should specify interfaces that frameworks need to conform to.

E.g., rather than integrating test-framework into Cabal so that HUnit works with it, modify HUnit so it emits the format that Cabal wants. And modify test-framework to emit the format that Cabal wants so, if someone can't convert their test suite to the CabalTest format, test-framework can act as an intermediary and handle the conversion of output.

Richard G.