S. Alexander Jacobson wrote/a ecrit/skrev:
> I just started playing with Haskell for CGI applications.
> I would like to try writing a more serious CGI app, but
> missing infrastructure makes it more difficult than conventional
> approaches.

On a general note, I too try employ Haskell for more and more common-
day tasks (eg replacing a great number of shell/Perl hacks) and almost
daily face the lack of support, mostly in the form of missing
libraries.

I think there are two major causes to this effect: one is the high
emphasize on theoretical aspects of the language and a disproportional
low effort on plain practial aspects.  Contrast this with the
development of languages like Erlang and Java.  In the latter case the
language was carved in stone long time ago (*) and the effort
concentrated on producing a mind-bogling large library, covering all
sorts of applications.

Another causes is the simple observation that Java users largely
outnumber Haskell users.

The only option we have (IMHO) is to ease and streamline the process
of introducing new libraries and write and make available good
libraries as the needs are encountered.  In this respect, GreenCard
constitutes a key element.

(*) I'm not claiming that this is a good idea, even less that they
where successful.

> In decreasing order of preference, is there an available
> implementation of:
> * an equivalent to Java's Naming and Directory Services interface
> * an LDAP client for some particular LDAP server
> * an XML editor
> * a generic ODBC/JDBC database client
> * an interface to berkeleyDB (or some persistent hashtable
>   implementation)
>
> I suppose that I could have Haskell talk to Jacl to access the Java
> implementations of these capabilities, but this seems like a hack.
>
> Any pointers?

I don't the first three at all, so I can't comment on them.  AFAIK,
writing a library with more or less the same functionality as
ODBC/JDBC should be perfectly doable.  As for the latter, I imagine
that something very useful could be built in combination with the
Binary library from York (a should-be standard library, IMHO).

/Tommy