On 25-Mar-1998, S. Alexander Jacobson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> In both the ODBC and DS cases, it would be useful if someone would define
> a standard Haskell interface to database or ds services.
> Javasoft did not actually provide an ODBC implementation, instead they
> provided an interpretation of rel databases for java (JDBC).  The
> JDBC-ODBC bridge was straightforward, but the key point was to give java
> programmers a consistent way to access any relational database.  I mailed
> Dima in order to get the ODBC source, so for a particular task that may be
> useful, but his ODBC is a particular implementation of accessing
> rel-databases from Haskell.

If you're looking for inspiration about what an ODBC interface should
look like in a declarative programming language, you might want to
take a look at the ODBC interface that is included in the Mercury distribution
<ftp://www.cs.mu.oz.au/pub/mercury/mercury-0.7.3-extras.tar.gz>,
or at the following paper, which describes our general approach:

       Kemp, Conway, Harris, Henderson, Ramamohanarao and Somogyi,
       "Database transactions in a purely declarative
               logic programming language",
       Technical Report 96/45, Department of Computer Science,
       University of Melbourne, December 1996,
       http://www.cs.mu.OZ.AU/publications/tr_db/mu_96_45.ps.gz

Obviously there will be some differences in Haskell, but
I think quite a bit of the interface could carry over into Haskell.

--
Fergus Henderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  |  "I have always known that the pursuit
PGP: finger [EMAIL PROTECTED]        |     -- the last words of T. S. Garp.