On 10 Sep, Will Partain wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
>> .... As far as I know, none of the existing implementations
>> takes the speed of Integer seriously (ghc certainly doesn't), ...
>
> The GHC implementation has always been a thin wrapper on top
> of the GMP (GNU multi-precision arithmetic) library.  So,
> while we may not have taken Integer performance too
> seriously, we made a point of hanging around with people who
> did.  (Hey, Lennart made much the same choice, and he's not
> one to give away speed for nothing :-)

The question is of performance for Int sized things in Integer, so the
fact that you call a good library isn't relevant; what's important is
what you do when you don't _need_ to use GMP to get the answer.  My
guess is that most of the real cost of doing Int sized arithmetic in
Integers is the cost of detecting overflow.

--
Jon Fairbairn                                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
18 Kimberley Road                                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]