Thorsten Altenkirch writes:
 > Jan Brosius writes:
 >  > Marcin Kowalczyk wrote at Wed, May 10, 2000 7:54 PM :
 >  > > > 2. Next let me point out once and for all that
 >  > > > logical quantifiers are used only in logical formula's .
 >  > >
 >  > > Types can be treated as logical formulas, according to the Curry-Howard
 >  > > isomorphism.
 >  >
 >  > Sorry, never heard of in logic. But perhaps you can explain.
 >
 > [I hope it is ok if I reply, although I am sure Marcin can defend
 > himself just as well]
 >
 > Maybe because you have only learnt about classical logic, which is a
 > shame especially for a computer scientist. Have a look at a standard
 > text book, like Troestra & van Dalen's "Intuitionism I,II".

BTW there is a C-H correspondence for classical logic too, although it
requires a constructive presentation of the rules and considerable care with
reduction laws. The trick is to model the type of a continuation as a negated
proposition, with reductio ad absurdum as a call/cc-like operation.

See for example:

  C.-H. L. Ong, A semantic view of classical proofs: type-theoretic,
  categorical, denotational characterizations. In Proceedings of 11th IEEE
  Annual Symposium on Logic in Computer Science, IEEE Computer Society Press,
  pp. 230-241, 1996.

--
Frank Atanassow, Dept. of Computer Science, Utrecht University
Padualaan 14, PO Box 80.089, 3508 TB Utrecht, Netherlands