Mark P Jones writes:
 > Please could somebody post a short, plain text summary of the discussion
 > in this thread?  The recent exchanges have been long and involved, which
 > has made it impossible for me (and other busy onlookers too, I suspect)
 > to keep up.  Without such a summary, I think that this thread may be
 > reaching the end of it's useful life, at least for the main Haskell list.

I only jumped in because I thought I could nip it in the bud by clearing up
some confusion surrounding treatment of bound and free variables (OK--- also I
was irate about one other remark). Sorry, I can't summarize the rest, although
I think it is all rooted in this misinterpretation of variables.

 > I make these suggestions because I sense that there is a lot of confusion,
 > misunderstanding, and talking at cross purposes, and because I'm not at
 > all sure that the current discussions are on course to reach a conclusion.

I agree, and I think it's hopeless. This is my last message to the Haskell
list on the subject. There is nothing Haskell-specific any longer about this
discussion.

However, I think maybe it has demonstrated that the implicit forall'ing in
Haskell can be confusing in practice. In particular, it makes it hard to talk
unambiguously about types of non-top-level definitions/terms.

--
Frank Atanassow, Dept. of Computer Science, Utrecht University
Padualaan 14, PO Box 80.089, 3508 TB Utrecht, Netherlands