On May 5, 2007, at 2:37 PM, Robert Rothenberg wrote:
Some distros have a hard time with you installing by compiling from the source. Actually, they work fine until there's an update or upgrade. Then it gets confused by a newer version of some program (it could be something as minor as an unusual LaTeX style or newer version of Rhythmbox) that the upgrade halts, leaving your system in a wonderfully unstable state that
requires you to do a fresh install anyway.

This is one of the advantages to the BSD core+ports system and the way it separates the core from add-on packages. It's got its own hatefulness, of course, but I'd rather have some redundant and normally unused stuff in core even with the occasional "which perl am I using anyway".