Joe Mahoney wrote:
>> OS X Software Update doesn't even give you the option.  You restart or... you
>> restart.  And the damn thing will keep bouncing in the dock until you do.
>>
>> Fortunately you can just Force Quit the application and that's that.
>
> Why run the software update if you don't want to update?

Because it can take a long time.  And rather than stare at the moving progress
bar or, god forbid, do something not involving the computer for a while, I
start doing something else while update does its thing.  Then when the update
finishes I want to finish up what I'm doing before restarting.

Point is, as always, LET ME MAKE THE GOD DAMNED DECISION YOU MISERABLE PILE OF
MICROCHIPS!  Let me, the user, choose between the possibility of a bit of
instability vs convenience.  I'm a big boy.  I can handle it.  What's the
worst that happens?  The computer crashes and I restart it which is what it
was trying to force me to do in the first place!

Besides, it's Unix.  It can take a pretty bad beating before it loses its
shit.  It shouldn't even need a restart!  Debian has spoiled me about a lot of
things, and this is one of them.  If Debian can update libc without needing a
restart I think Apple can figure out how to update Quicktime without needing
one.

--
Stabbing you in the face for your own good.