Peter da Silva wrote:
On 2008-01-15, at 15:44, Michael G Schwern wrote:
I argue that it *will* make things worse for the members of the third group for two critical reasons.

Worse than just using a date, which contains *zero* information, because it's something you have anyway?

Not after it's installed. I guess you could check the mod time but that's not reliable nor convenient. Anyhow, I'd rather go with zero than negative.

There's no consensus about what versions mean. 1.2.3 vs 1.3.1 means different things depending on who you ask.

There is pretty good consensus about what three-dot versions mean, actually.

I could argue against that, again, but i think that all the caveats and hedges and exceptions and conflicting interpretations of versions that have come up in this thread pretty much say it all.

--
I am somewhat preoccupied telling the laws of physics to shut up and sit down.
        -- Vaarsuvius, "Order of the Stick"