On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 08:43:25 -0800, Michael G Schwern <schw...@pobox.com>
wrote:

> Peter da Silva wrote:
> > On 2008-01-13, at 00:22, Michael G Schwern wrote:
> >> Lately I've been toying with ISO date integer versions, for that
> >> "what, you're
> >> using the 2005 version?!  Your shit is OLD!  UPGRADE NOW!" effect.
> >> http://use.perl.org/~schwern/journal/35127
> >
> > I tried that for a while, but even *I* couldn't keep track of what
> > version numbers meant, and it was my own project.
> >
> > If the current version is 1.5.4 and the guy's running 1.5.2 that tells
> > me more than if the current version's 20070620 and the guy's running
> > 19990114.
>
> It tells you that it's eight years old, and that's concrete information.  You

Only time-wise. It gives me zitch information on wheather it's worthwhile to
install this `upgrade'. It could as well be a deserted project that someone
took over to make it compile/build again on his OS-XYZZY-revB and *nothing*
changed at all.

> know that eight years is a damn long time in software years and it's a flag
> that you should probably look into it.  It's not much, but it's something.
>
> What does 1.5.4 vs 1.5.2 really tell you?  There's all sorts of things you

That this is a minor upgrade, probably fix a few outstanding bugs, not too
many new features. I will be able to read in the NEWS/README/ChangLog/Changes
if I want this upgrade

> THINK it tells you, but all it really says is there was at least one revision
> between them and 1.5.4 is the newer one.  Maybe there was two revisions, but
> maybe they skipped odd revisions (I sometimes do).  And what does 1.5 mean?
> Is it following the "odd == alpha" convention?  WHO KNOWS?!  How much changed?
>  Well, it's just one revision so it couldn't possibly be much, but that's just
> guessing.  It could be that very same eight years difference but you don't
> even have that to go on.

And what does it give you more/less than a dated versioning system? NOTHING

> Oooh, and then there's the odd/even alpha/release fun.  Now is 1.4.6 newer
> than 1.5.1?  Could be!  Can you safely use 1.5.1?  Who knows?  Haha, have fun
> figuring it out, sucker!

Must agree on that.

--
H.Merijn Brand         Amsterdam Perl Mongers (http://amsterdam.pm.org/)
using & porting perl 5.6.2, 5.8.x, 5.10.x  on HP-UX 10.20, 11.00, 11.11,