On 2008-01-14 at 19:01 -0800, Michael G Schwern wrote:
> Phil Pennock wrote:
> > And then there's the threading issue, requiring parallel Perl installs.
>
> Abort!  Abort!  Hate drifting wildly of target!

What crack are you on?

This was part of the original post and part of the hate.  All software
hate is valid for the list, your continuing apologia is off-topic.

You are off-target.

> Ahh, the blessing problem.  "It ships with the language, it must be good!"

No, but "it ships with the language so perhaps manages to do what it
says on the tin, if I want something different I can go looking later".

> Competition is messy but so is life.  It's hateful to think you can write up a
> spec for it and pick "the best" for everyone.  It sure is convenient, and
> it'll work for a while, but it'll eventually leave you in the dust.

You can pick a minimum adequate version to include and not claim that
it's at all the best.  Those that only ever use the minimum adequate
will suffer the pain of dealing with that, even when better options were
available.

$employer has non-standard less-hateful variants of x% of the standard
Python modules; other useful variant modules are publicly available.  I
wander around FreeBSD Ports and mostly ignore the other Python modules
which might exist, since these ones are inherently those which people
have found useful enough to package them up for FreeBSD.  It's a
sufficient gating criteria.  For the rare time when I have to deal with
something else, I can do so and it's (a) the exception, (b) works, (c)
doesn't get its knickers in a twist because a Central Bureaucratic
Authority which gates all versioning systems anyone is permitted to use
in The One True Module Repository has blessed some crap which thinks
0.80 is newer than 1.95.1.

> Shocked!  Yes, I am shocked to find that there's poorly documented software
> out there!  Obviously only Perl has this problem.

No and I clearly did not claim that.  I pointed out that my previous
distaste for Python's documentation has been overcome by seeing that
having a minimum which forcibly reveals the API without reading XS code
is useful and cited one example to show that there are benefits.  Even
though pydoc does lead to the doxygen problem, "there are docs, what are
you complaining about?  See?  API listing."  Bah.

> Call us when the honeymoon is over. :)

What damn honeymoon?  I think that I've been perfectly clear about how
little I like Python and how this is just my not choosing Perl for
personal pleasure projects any more.

Are you able to have a technical debate without constructing straw men
to attack just because someone expresses displeasure, on a
hates-software mailing-list, for your pet software?  I've yet to see any
evidence that you can.

-Phil