I spend my days in heavily Linux-y environment. My main machine is a Linux box,
my dev box is Linux, my client-test box and my server-test box are all Linux
boxes. Woo-hoo! I can run firefox on any of my boxes...or can I?

Those of you who like to skip ahead to the end know the answer to this: Of
course not! If I am running firefox on my main box, and am ssh-ed in to (for
example) my client-text box, and try to run firefox there, surprise! Firefox, in
its infinite hatefulness, decides that I must really want to run a firefox
remote window in the firefox back on my main box. I couldn't possibly want to
have a distinct instance of firefox on my client-test box, now could I? If, for
example, my client-test box has TWO NICs, and one of them connects (via another
box) to my server box, and I want to access my server box via the client box?
Without all that tedious mucking about with routing tables (which is a hate all
its own)? If, for example, the client-test, server-test, and intermediary box
are all on a private subnet that I cannot reach from my main box? GRRRRR!

Fortunately, the hatefulness is only about 99%, because the firefox command
exposed on the command line is really a shell script that wraps around the REAL
firefox command, and does the evil remote thing. So it was not too painful to
hack it up to allow me to opt out of the whole evil remote thing, but:

1. What a pian!

2. The next time I upgrade I will need to reapply this fix. Grrr!

Why can't firefox support this behaviour? I can understand not having it on by
default, as I assume the thinking was that this behaviour would confuse the
fewest number of people, but come on! Firefox is all about customisability, and
yet there is no convenient hook for disabling this behaviour that I could find.
It took me all of five lines of shell hacking to add it in, so we are not
talking rocket science here.

Firefox, burn in hell forever!

--
Timothy Knox <mailto:t...@thelbane.com>
The one thing I've learned about freedom of expression is that you really