On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 01:02:01AM -0400, Chris Devers wrote:

> But what is an email client if not a tool for processing text?

It is a tool for processing *messages*.  It is not a tool for processing
text.  It operates at a much higher level than text.

>                                                                If it
> can't be bothered to build in a reasonable mail composition tool, then
> why bother?

A mail composition tool is different from a text editor.  A MUA *must*
provide a reasonable mail composition tool.  And the two that I am most
familiar with - mutt and thunderbird - do so.  Thunderbird also includes
a text editor.  It's not a very good text editor, and I have yet to find
out how to conveniently replace it with something better.  Mutt, on the
other hand, doesn't include a bad text editor, the author being sensible
enough to let you re-use whichever editor you prefer.

Consequently, I generally only use thunderbird to *read* mail.

> I'm tired of assembling my own toolkits.

That's fine, mutt will do the assembly for you.

> I just want things to Work.

Then you want to use a tried and tested editor, as opposed to one that
someone felt compelled to throw in to the mix just because there's
somehow something wrong with reusing a pre-existing one.

    Deck of Cards: $1.29.
    "101 Solitaire Variations" book: $6.59.
    Cheap replacement for the one thing Windows is good at: priceless
        -- Shane Lazarus