On Tue, Jul 07, 2009 at 08:23:47PM -0700, Joshua Juran wrote:

> Can you point me to the research showing the effect this has on user
> efficiency, or failing that, at least a design document comparable to
> Apple's Human Interface Guidelines for the Macintosh?  Or is this
> just an oral tradition passed on by those with their GUI well
> poisoned by X11, who then complain when everybody else does it
> differently?

As opposed to Mac users, who wave around research which "justifies"
their preferences (research which happened after-the-fact, by the
way) or Windows users who insist that this is The One Windows Way To
Do It.

Personally, I prefer focus-follows-mouse, raise-only-on-click,
without focus-grabbing pop-ups.  If I want focus, I'll give you
focus.  If I want you raised, I'll raise you.  It comes from having
my formative years on a Sun OpenLook-based olvwm, complete with a
"Front" key on the keyboard so that I can pop the window I want up to
the top of the stack very easilly.  I have incidents where I want to
type something into one window while reading from another; in those
cases, having the active window only partially visible while the
reference window is on top can be useful.

But what it all comes down to is that this is the particular way I
will tollerate^W^Wlike being kicked in the nuts.  Your tastes are
obviously different.  And Windows proves that people can get used
to anything.

--
 /\oo/\
/ /()\ \ David Mackintosh |