On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 09:08, Matthew King<matthew.k...@monnsta.net> wrote:
> Peter da Silva <pe...@taronga.com> writes:
>
>> Everyone is
>> moving AWAY from using metadata for anything that will break
>> functionality if it's lost.
>
> Metadata like the HTTP Content-Type header?

Yes, like that.

You'll note that many web pages -- especially static ones -- still end
in .htm or .html despite the Content-Type header. Not least, I
imagine, because that gets lost once you save the content to disk, and
then all that's left to identify the content type is the extension.

Similarly with e-mail attachments; they might send a MIME Content-Type
identifying the attachment, but as soon as you save the attachment to
disk, poof! Gone. (At least with the filesystems I'm familiar with.)
Hence, filename extensions on e-mail attachments.

(Also: it's not for nothing that MSIE does content sniffing for
certain MIME types [IIRC, including text/plain and
application/octet-stream], simply because there are/were web servers
that sent the wrong content type so that MS decided the content type
couldn't be trusted in all cases.)

Cheers,
Philip
--