Oh it's much worse than that, at least nowadays, for some people.  It's not
something that you can turn off, everything is going to be bad for a long
time and it will get worse before it gets better.
255:0:0 means the reddest red.  But my wide gamut monitor's reds are like
50% redder than yours (and next year's wide gamut monitor's will be 50%
redder still).  So of course it looks different if your web browser just
sends #123456 to my monitor and to yours.  The same RGB triples are being
mapped over a bigger color space.  Graphic formats have provisions for
metadata so perhaps your 12:34:56.png is tagged as meaning 12:34:56 in the
sRBG color space and the browser dutifully maps that to whatever RGB triple
would look the closest in your monitor's color space.  The background
is probably untagged, or tagged differently, or IE8 defaults images to sRBG
but doesn't for backgrounds.
One way or another this is Microsoft's fault.  For their web browser or OS
or whatever.  Being as big as they are they should have strong-armed all the
monitor and video card vendors to support 10 bit color channel resolution
and then assumed that every color on screen is in sRBG space unless
specified otherwise by apps like Photoshop that actually know what they're
doing.