On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 04:23:05PM +0200, Abigail wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 01:42:09PM +0100, David Cantrell wrote:
> > > My last name has a space in it?
> > Should you be sorted under d or S?
> > Of the two van Whatevers I know in the UK, one likes to be sorted under
> > v, the other under Whatever.
> If you look in a Dutch phone book, you'll see that 'van de Foo' is sorted
> under 'F'. In an American phone book, it's written as 'Van De Foo', and
> sorted under 'V'. In Belgium, they'll be named "Vandefoo", and sorted
> under 'V'.

One of the people I'm thinking of is Dutch (he's the one who wants to be
sorted under Whatever) the other English.  He has Dutch ancestors, but
considers his surname to be van Whatever, a single name with a space in
it and which begins with a lower-case letter.

FWIW, in my phone's contact list, they're both "Whatever, Fred van".

And what about Nguyen Van Thieu?  I bet he'd confuse the Dutch phone
book :-)

--
header   FROM_DAVID_CANTRELL    From =~ /david.cantrell/i
describe FROM_DAVID_CANTRELL    Message is from David Cantrell