On 25 October 2010 21:25, Aristotle Pagaltzis <pagalt...@gmx.de> wrote:
My very most favourite recent addition is
  bind -x ’“\C-l”: clear’
which ultimately goes all the way back to how stupidly terminals
were bolted onto the side of Unix. Excuse me while I bang my head
on this desk.

A hack to duplicate an obsolete hack taking advantage of a quirk of obscure
non-standard terminal escape sequences is a bug in UNIX?

Speaking as someone who's actually done a from-scratch implementation of
termcap, as well as a couple of terminal emulators, you need to be hating
terminal manufacturers and people who write terminal libraries. On ALL
operating systems. Getting my VT100 emulation to the point where it acted
reasonably for both RSX-11 and VMS is half a year I would really like back.

Oh, and porting it to MS-DOS... dealing with 16550 UARTs directly because of
MS-DOS completely failed to support serial ports in any useful way, compounded
with the appalling IBM BIOS... AUGH.