On Mon, Dec 06, 2010 at 04:19:54PM +0100, Aristotle Pagaltzis wrote:
> [...] You get fun times if you do things such as start a program under an
> rxvt-unicode terminal and reattach it under a putty-256color one.

Er, can you even do that on Unix without the likes of screen or tmux?

> You can work around most of those using GNU screen or something alike --
> creating room for more software, and thus more hate.

Well now, screen is a whole new exciting world of suck. I particularly like
the way that the backspace key generates a different character depending on
the phase of the moon.

[...]
> The only worse clusterfuck that comes to mind from own experience was
> printing under DOS.

Isn't printing under Unix bad enough? It's why I keeping an old Laserjet 4
running because otherwise I'd have to select one of many Unix printing
"solutions" that randomly causes fifty pages of raw ESC/P or whatever to
come out of the printer instead of a one page document. Instead, I randomly
get just a single page complaining that the Postscript was too complex which
at least kills fewer trees.