On Dec 21, 2010, at 8:18 AM, H.Merijn Brand wrote:

If I have to use the mouse, let it be as simple as
possible: a big ball for movements, three buttons - for which the
middle should paste and do nothing else

I couldn't think of a better way to make X11 hostile to new users.

"Let's see... left click? Works as expected... right click? Okay, a menu pops up. I wonder what middle click does... AAAAAAGH! What the hell just happened?"

Dumping arbitrary text into a window (which might be a shell) doesn't exactly encourage users to explore the interface. I guess they're supposed to read the manual instead.

It's one thing for an experienced user to enable this behavior on his own system, but innocent people shouldn't be exposed to this.

Josh