On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 16:56:57 +0100, Marco Von Ballmoos
<mvonbal...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Dec 21, 2010, at 2:23 PM, Roger Burton West wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 12:26:24PM +0000, Peter Corlett wrote:
> >
> >> Macs support multi-button mice. A right-click is also known as "secondary
> >> click", which gives a hint as to its importance. It's a power user feature.
> >> One that I find useful, but not necessary to use the system, as it should
> >> be.
> >
> > As opposed to shift-click, alt-click, cloverleaf-click, all of which I
> > have been told by Mac enthusiasts are "intuitive". (And even Apple staff
> > spurned the one-button hockey-puck mice they came out with a few years
> > back.)
>
> And thus we have arrived at a familiar place: the good old chestnut --
> oft-repeated even today -- of how Apple tries to force its users to
> accept a mouse with only one button. I know that they shipped
> single-button mice for *years* and spurned multi-button variations,
> but multi-button mice have worked on the Mac for a long time as well.
>
> As soon as Apple started shipping their own, I was asked by recent
> purchasers how to turn *off* the secondary click. These same users are
> not complete novices and prefer pressing a key to modify their mouse
> clicks. With the advent of the touchpad, the notion of right-click or
> even secondary click has largely been replaced by swipes and gestures.

I *HATE* swipes and gestures. Back to on-topic fast.

I have no idea why product updates that now support gestures also make
them enabled by default.

I'm a keyboard junk, and gestures don't work very well with all my
trackballs. If I have to use the mouse, let it be as simple as
possible: a big ball for movements, three buttons - for which the
middle should paste and do nothing else - and a scrollwheel, so when my
colleagues want to show me something they don't go crazy.

The need to combine keys and buttons is stupid.

And no, I do not have an Apple computer, and when I have to work on one
(the company has two for graphic work), I bring my own mouse.

--
H.Merijn Brand  http://tux.nl      Perl Monger  http://amsterdam.pm.org/
using 5.00307 through 5.12 and porting perl5.13.x on HP-UX 10.20, 11.00,