On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 04:58:49PM -0700, Michael G Schwern wrote:
> On 2012.5.13 3:41 PM, David Cantrell wrote:
> > Perl used to have this.  It was called #include.  It's a damned shame
> > that -P got killed off.  Removing it was hateful.
> Let's run one language through another language's preprocessor!  WHAT COULD
> POSSIBLY GO WRONG?!  Let's just see what the old 5.10.1 perlrun man page says
> about it...

None of which stops it from being a damned useful tool.  You just need
to be careful with it.  I thought that perl was all about giving you a
gun and if you shot your own foot off that was your own stupid fault.

> I can't imagine why they removed it.  Wait, yes I can!  Jarko and I wrote
> those warnings after trying like hell to make it work in anything like a
> reliable manner.

I wouldn't mind if it was disabled by default and if I had to explicitly
enable it per file, with something like 'no strict cpp'.

Feature: an incorrectly implemented bug